Firstly I know what you are thinking…Egg and Spam Fried Rice? Yes I love egg rice with spam and this is something my mum often cooked when I was growing up in Malaysia. I guess this is in a way fast food as we did not have chicken nuggets, chips or fish fingers but we often had lots of leftover rice so it will end up being stir-fried into Egg Fried Rice and if there is any chicken/prawns or spam/ham around this would be added in as well.
This recipe is so versatile as you can omit spam and just cook it as egg fried rice, or omit the spam and egg and make it into a vegetarian fried rice or change it up by swapping the spam with prawns or diced chicken breast meat or leftover roasted chicken. So as they say…the world (or in this case your frying pan) is your oyster.
The secret to getting the fried rice tasting as good as it does with so few ingredients is adding a tablespoon of butter at the end, as it brings the flavours together and gives the rice a beautiful glossy finish just like in the Chinese takeaway shops. With every mouthful, you will get a little peppery taste from the white pepper (please only use white pepper and not black), the saltiness from the meat and soy sauce and the crunchiness from the vegetables (you can use frozen vegetables for this).
Please have a go at the recipe and let me know what you think of it and which version you will be going for. My children and I love the Egg and Spam Fried Rice but not my husband, he still prefers his spicy Nasi Goreng Ayam.
Again, feel free to add or reduce the quantities and change up the vegetables or swap the chicken for prawns (or omit it all together) if you prefer it. I have used the below measurements only as a guide as I tend to cook this dish without a recipe.
Here’s a youtube video of how to make the Egg and Spam Fried Rice.
Feel free to Pin this image on your Pinterest Account so you can remember to try this recipe.
Here are more recipes for you to try:
Please leave a comment or tag tag us on social media if you do try these recipes. Please tag @yeah.foodie on Instagram, @yeahfoodie Twitter or @yeahfoodieblog on Facebook with a photo. Please also subscribe to our mailing list to receive more of my Family Favourite Recipes from East to West directly via your inbox.
- 3-4 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 Onion (small), chopped
- 3-4 Garlic pips, chopped
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 4 Eggs
- Small Tin of Spam, cubed (optional or replaced with chicken/prawns)
- 1 small bowl of frozen medley of mixed vegetables
- 1-2 tbsp Light Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups rice cooked (best if it is leftover rice from the day before)
- Salt/White Pepper (to taste)
1. Chop the spam into bite sized pieces and fry in oil .
2. Season the eggs with a pinch of salt and white pepper and fry them in a bit of oil
3. Add a little oil to the pan and fry the onions and garlic till they are soft.
4. Add in the frozen vegetables (you don't need to thaw them) until they are defrosted
5. Add in the spam (you can omit this if you are just making egg and veg fried rice or swap the spam for prawns or diced chicken)
6. Add in the rice, you need to make sure the rice is stirred in well and try to break any clumps of rice. Best to use cold, left over rice from the day before.
7. Next, add in the eggs, light sauce, a pinch of salt and white pepper (do not add too much of salt if you are using spam as spam is salty). Mix well.
8. Lastly add in the butter to give your rice a lovely glossy finish.
9. Serve warm