I love making stews especially from Autumn right through Winter but often change it up to add dumplings or turn it into a pie either with shortcrust pastry or storebought puff pastry as it is such a warming dish. Today I am going to share with you a tasty and comforting Chicken Stew with Biscuits Recipe which is from Ina Garten. If you noticed I called it biscuits (American) instead of dumplings as the recipe comes from Ina Garten’s Barefoot Contessa Family Style Cookbook.
I have adapted the recipe from the book and made it simpler as I did not roast the chicken but this recipe is as tasty, you can use a larger bowl, add more stock, cut the chicken small according to how your family prefers it or even create a vegan/vegetarian version by not adding the meat and substituting the other ingredients.
Here’s a short youtube video on how to make this tasty and warming chicken stew with biscuits recipe.
Feel free to Pin this image on your Pinterest Account so you can remember to try this recipe
Here are more recipes for you to try:
Please leave a comment or tag tag us on social media if you do try these recipes. Please tag @yeah.foodie on Instagram, @yeahfoodie Twitter or @yeahfoodieblog on Facebook with a photo. Please also subscribe to our mailing list to receive more of my Family Favourite Recipes from East to West directly via your inbox.
For the Stew:
- 2 Chicken breasts
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 500ml Chicken Stock
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 Medium Sized onion, chopped
- Bay Leaves, Bouquet Garni, Parsley or Lemon Thyme
- 2 Celery, diced
- Handful of fine beans, cut
- 2 Medium Sized Potatoes, cut into cubes
For the Biscuits:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (I've used 1/2 tsp as I felt the biscuits were too salty)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (I've used 1/2 tsp)
- 110g cold unsalted butter, diced
- 3/4 cup half-and-half (I've used 1/2 cup milk instead and it works)
- 2-3 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- egg yolk mixed with some milk for egg wash
1. Heat pan, add 1 tbsp oil, fry onions till it softens for a few minutes
2. Add carrots, celery, beans, stir fry for a few minutes, season with salt and pepper then remove.
3. Add 1 tbsp oil and add the chicken pieces (which has been seasoned with salt, pepper and 2 tbsp of flour) and cook for a few minutes
4. Next, add the vegetables into the same pot and what ever herbs you have in hand. I've used bay leaves and bouquet garni(
5. Add in chicken stock and give it a boil.
7. Next, add the potatoes and cauliflower and half cook it (as it will continue to cook in the oven later).
8. While the stock is cooking, you can now make the biscuits. Add the baking powder, salt and sugar to the flour and mix in a bowl.
9. Rub in the butter until it forms into a crumble texture
10. Stir in the chopped parsley and the add in the cream (I have used milk) and bring it together (watch to see how I did this).
11. Make into pastry and cut into circles
12. Add stew into baking proof bowl then add the biscuits and eggs wash. Bake in oven at 20 minutes at 175C